Five Cents Ten Cents

Monday, March 17, 2008

Panzer's Quest for financial freedom

The picture above shows the token of appreciation given by the Singapore Armed Forces to me last year when I completed my 10 years of reservist duty to the State as a Conscript in the Lion City. It comprises a Hamilton Khaki watch, a collar pin and a medal as a form of recognition of my services to the nation.

The watch's face is broken after being worn for 1+ year while I have consigned the box to the depths of my cupboard to gather dust as a remembrance of something I would rather forget.

My quest for financial freedom
The relentlessness of my pursuit of financial freedom is to some extent driven by my experiences as a conscript in the Lion City. As a able and fit male citizen of Singapore, I went through two and a half years of full-time military service when I was 18 and this was followed up by 10 years of annual in-camp training that ranged from short two day BCTC courses revising basic infantry techniques to 3 week long operational duty at key installations in Singapore.

Whilst I was on reservist, I saw how my responsibilities were taken away from me and given to a lady staff who did not have reservist. That meant my performance for that year was impacted since a key work area was taken out of my hands and given to someone else. Over the internet, I read of anecdotes where Singaporean staff were discriminated by some employers as PRs or foreign talent were preferred for their lack of NS liabilities. There were even reservists who were afraid of changing jobs because they were on remedial training for failing their individual physical proficiency test (IPPT).

Recently, I read of a case where a NSF lost 85% of his sight due to oversight by his superiors and allowing his eye condition to worsen.

The reality is that as an NSmen, you are disadvantaged economically against your competitors in the career arena. Ceteris paribus, an employee who does not have NS liabilities i.e. Permanent Residents or foreigners on employment passes / work permits are more attractive to hire and retain than Singaporean men. That is the BRUTAL TRUTH that is Singapore Inc.

Yes, the gahmen gives you NSmen tax reliefs and top ups. Reliefs and top-ups help little when you don't have a job or when your job is at risk due to your NS liability. Safra clubs does little for you if you cannot afford to pay its subscriptions without a career.


Forget duty, honour and country, and let's talk about growth, GDP and money!
The relentlessness in which this administration pursues economic growth tells us one thing. Making money in Singapore Inc is the reason we exist. I believe in economic growth. What I don't believe in is a system that penalises its own male citizens with conscription which provides inadequate compensation mechanisms for the risks we take. Hence, now that I have served my duty to the country, it's time for my duty to my family to maximise our family's economic growth through making more money.

Volunteerism? Donations?... Been there and done that.

Now it's time for living within my means, saving and investing and growing my means.

Singapore Inc has abolished estate duty, so you can leave it ALL to your family so let's make economic hay while the sun shines.

My pursuit of financial freedom is to truly contribute to the country through taxes and to receive through income streams from career and investments. It is a win-win arrangement that no true economic maximiser will refuse.

After all, "welfare" IS a DIRTY word in Singapore.

Be well and prosper.

No comments: