Five Cents Ten Cents

Monday, July 16, 2007

Panzergrenadier's stock portfolio


A reader JK has asked me to list down my stock portfolio to give an idea of what my investment preferences are. I thought that it would be a good idea to share. This is currently what is inside my equity portfolio that comprises wholly shares in companies listed on the Singapore Exchange:

In no order of merit or preference:

  1. Ascott Reits
  2. OCBC Bank
  3. SingPost
  4. Suntec Reits
  5. Singtel
My approach to picking stocks on STI has been to look out for blue-chip type of companies as well as those that have a track record of dividends. You will notice that I have both Suntec Reits as well as Ascott Reits. The serviced residential segment represented by Ascott Reits should still be doing reasonably well given the tight supply situation for higher-end rentals. However, I didn't get into this stock early in the game. Am holding mainly for dividends.

Going for any of the banking stocks will not get you too far wrong. Both DBS and UOB are a bit pricey so I am holding onto OCBC as the prospects for the local banks are still quite good given the rising property market. In addition, wealth management products are starting to make more inroads into the heartlands and mass market and I think the banks will continue to do well.

SingPost is a very strong monopoly in both postal services as well as agency payment services. Their moneylending business bolstered by the introduction of EZcash and James products are doing very well and basically allows this defensive stock to stay strong and pay very good dividends.

Suntec malls are still very packed during weekdays as well as weekends and it is still prime real estate for retailers as well as for businesses to set up their offices. I think their prospects are still good in the current supply crunch for office properties.

SingTel is a legacy from the group A and group B days and I think I will keep this for the long-term and bequeath it to my future generation. :-)

There you have it, my equity portfolio at this point in time.

My current investment approach is to buy and hold and all my equities do pay dividends so unless I need to sell them to fund something new, they should stay this way for some time.

The rest of my investible savings goes into iSavvy time deposits and treasury bills.

How does your own portfolio look like? :-)

Be well and prosper.

No comments: