Five Cents Ten Cents

Tuesday, July 10, 2007

My electronic ROLEX Excel worksheet


Luxury time pieces. Branded handbags. Big name cars.

I have none of the above! :-)

Instead, I have my very own electronic ROLEX Excel worksheet.

What am I saying
You may be thinking now what is Panzergrenadier trying to say? Does he or doesn't he own an rolex? The answer is a categorically "no". The most expensive watch I own costs about $200 and it was a present from my parents. The current Hamilton (khaki) watch that I am wearing was given to me by Mindef for having completed my ten years of national service liability and cost me nothing in dollars and cents but a lot in blood and (unseen) tears.

I do not believe in luxury goods because they do not add much to my life. Of course, if someone gave one to me I would not refuse it but I would not buy them with my own money because they do not reflect my lifestyle. More importantly, my own self-esteem vests not in the watch or clothes or shoes that I wear. Rather, it vests in my electronic ROLEX excel worksheet as it is with this worksheet that I track what is truly important to me.

My net worth.

Are you tracking your net worth
In your journey towards financial freedom, are you tracking if you are on track or off track to achieving your goal? How do you know how much you need to earn, save and invest to reach your target? I track my goal and my journey using the excel worksheet. It calculates my assets, liabilities and gives me my net worth where :

ASSETS (cash, fixed deposits, treasury bills, shares) - LIABILITIES (housing loan) = NET WORTH

The whole idea of financial freedom is to build up sufficient assets that generate positive cash flows that in time will be more than living expenses. When that happens. One then can truly say that he or she has achieved financial freedom.

Am I there yet? Of course, not! I still need to work possibly for at least one more decade to be anywhere near my goal. Is it achievable? Definitely. What my excel worksheet tells me is that I should intensify my efforts as with each passing day, month and year, I am reducing my liabilities, increasing my assets and building up slowly but surely my net worth.

What will I do when my networth hits my target
The motivating factor for me is to truly live my dreams. To pursue activities and projects that I want to do such as public speaking, coaching and mentoring, learning new languages, becoming a full-time writer and trying to create "perfect moments" in life. To truly live the life without having to worry about your ricebowl because it is being replenished by passive income generated from portfolio investments and other cash flow generating assets.

But that does not mean that I live like a miser and deprive myself of life's pleasures. I watch movies, have a nice meal with my spouse, buy a new gadget now and then and go for tours on occasion. However, I do all these with a mind on saving and investing a portion before I spend what is left-over.

What is the ROLEX in your life
What will you do with every dollar you earn? Will you save and invest most of all for growing your net worth or use it to buy that ROLEX in your life?

You decide.

Be well and prosper.

No comments: