Five Cents Ten Cents

Monday, May 14, 2007

Investing in Ourselves: Adopting a Healthy Lifestyle

The one thing I benefitted from National Service in the military was greater awareness of health and fitness. The requirement to clear the annual individual physical proficiency test (IPPT) meant that I could not be too overweight or unfit as I had to pass my IPPT each year or face Remedial Training.

This forced exercise made me more aware of the benefits of regular jogging and not letting one's body become a tub of lard.

Looking at it positively, taking the time to do regular exercise is a form of investment. An investment in our own health reaps dividends in the form of less illnesses and less doctor's bills. It not only translates into medical cost savings but reduces our risk of contracting major chronic diseases such as hypertension, diabetes and stroke.

I try to exercise at least twice if not thrice a week and so far when I am regular in exercise, I sleep better and have a greater enjoyment of food because I can allow myself to indulge in ice-cream and sweet drinks occasionally as I have at least used up some of those calories.

As part of taking care of our finances, we should invest in our greatest asset-- ourselves, we work to earn the income that funds our investments for financial freedom. Wealth is meaningless if we lose our health to obtain it.

Examine your own life and consider setting aside some time to do brisk walking, swimming, cycling, whichever sports that you like to do... and start reaping the dividends from investing in yourself!

To your health (and wealth!)

No comments: