Five Cents Ten Cents

Tuesday, June 26, 2007

Health, Happiness and Wealth

How many of you use positive affirmations in your daily life? :-)

What type of affirmations do you use?

Affirmations for financial freedom
I have this affirmation that I am starting to use everyday when I wake up, commute via the MRT and throughout the day. The affirmation goes like this,

"Everyday I attract health, happiness and wealth!"

The sequence in which I say out the affirmation (in my head) is critical. Without health, it is very difficult to achieve happiness and all the wealth in the world does nothing for you if you do not have the health to enjoy it! This lesson was drilled into me yesterday when I was hit with a bout of food posioning! I spent the entire night alternating between clearing my churning bowels at the toilet and curled up in bed weaker than a baby. When I saw the doctor the next day, she surmised that it was most likely the fish that I had cooked the day before that was the cause. She prescribed lomotil and charcoal tablets plus panaco for the fever that had developed.

Health is a critical part of financial freedom
As we continue on this journey towards financial freedom, do we consider how our health plays a critical part in this process of attaining financial independence? You work for a living. You work to save. You work to invest. Working or running a business (or managing an inheritance) are ways that we can obtain our income. This requires us to be healthy in order for the income to continue to be generated prior to us attaining the stage where our passive income sources earn more than our living expenses. As a result, it is critical for us to take care our health and to invest some of that 24 hours in a day towards looking after our well-being.

Diet, exercise and managing stress
Diet, exercise and managing stress are the key components of living a healthy life! Yesterday, it was diet that did me in because I was not careful about food hygiene and that contributed to my bout of food poisoning. I have lost weight in the recent one year partly due to my diet of quaker oats Mondays to Fridays for breakfast.

What is missing now for my health is regular exercise. It is still pretty much a hit-and-miss affair, as I go for runs when I feel like it which is not ideal. I should make it pretty much part of my lifestyle just as I have incorporated frugal living and prudent investing as part of the overall means of achieving financial freedom.

Managing stress becomes easier the closer I move towards my goal of financial freedom because when you have a net worth that grows nearer to your targetted objective, you become less worried about being beholden to your job and more opportunities appear before you.

When my housing loan was a big chunk of my net liability position, I often felt trapped by my job because I was working to pay off my mortgage and you feel that you are a slave to your job. Now that I have settled my mortgage through prudent saving and ploughing all my income and bonuses into the loan, I no longer work for the bank but work for my own retirement and the dream lifestyle that I want to achieve. Each small victory in this quest for financial freedom motivates me even more to continue on this path. The journey may be long and the financial discipline tough but the reward at the end of the road more than justifies the endurance needed to last the journey.

May you find your paths to health, happiness and wealth!

No comments: